If you understand and can do these problems you should do well on the quiz.
1. Discuss the difference between an "open" and "closed" fluid system.
2. List the appropriate formulas in the boxes below.
3. If 1 gallon of water equals 0.134 ft3, convert 773 gallons into cubic feet.
4. Convert 45.29 square feet into square inches.
5. How much work does an air conditioner (pressure = 33.83 lbs/ft2) do to completely replace the air in a room which measures 17 feet by 32 feet by 8 feet?
6. What is the volume of a hydraulic cylinder which completes 2253 ft·lb of work at a constant pressure of 7.241 lb/ft2?
7. A pump needs 77,030 N·m of work to lift 3.27m3 of fluid. What is the pressure difference?
8. A pressure of 337 lb/in2 is applied to the face of a piston in a closed hydraulic cylinder, causing a total force of 32.27 lb. on the face of the piston. Calculate the following:
a. The area of the piston face.
b. The diameter of the piston.
c. The volume of fluid displaced when the piston moves 9.3 inches.
d. The fluid work done by the piston when moving the 9.3 inches.
9. A piston is displaced by a constant pressure of 750 N/m2. The cylinder moves a fluid volume of 0.35 m3 when the piston moves 13 cm.
a. Calculate the work required to move the piston 13 cm.
b. Calculate the force on the piston if the piston face has an area of 0.0375 m2.
10. A water tank holds 333 gallons of water. If the weight density of water is 62.4 lbs/ft3, and the tank is 75 feet above the valve, how much pressure will there be at the bottom of the outflow pipe?
Return To Principles of Technology Index
Return to GeoMan's Home Page